Electrocardiography or EKG technicians are healthcare professionals in charge of examining the electrical impulses in one’s heart. They can be found employed full-time in various hospitals, medical clinics, hospices, and medical facilities. Through their help, doctors can properly diagnose the patient’s condition and recommend treatment, if necessary.
Performing the electrocardiogram and collecting the data from the tests are not as easy as they seem. EKG technicians need to have specific skills to qualify them for the job. If you are considering a career in healthcare as an EKG technician, here is what you need to know.
The Duties of an EKG Technician
An EKG technician is in charge of the following:
- Activating the EKG testing equipment and ensuring an accurate reading
- Submitting the data to the attending physician of the patients
- Observing the EKG tests and reporting any critical results, such as fatal heart conditions
- Explaining everything to patients and monitoring them during the test
- Following the complex procedures
What the EKG Technician Should Have
As an EKG technician, you need to fit the following characteristics:
- You can deal with different types of patients, even those under a lot of stress.
- You know how to calm down and relax them.
- You can work with complicated types of machinery.
- You have a genuine interest in helping people.
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- You have a grasp of the medical terminologies used often.
- You should be genuinely compassionate.
- You can work with grace even when under pressure.
These are the ideal traits and skills that an EKG technician should have. Technical skills are essential because the job revolves around operating complex machinery. However, social skills, such as communication and compassion, are also crucial in the healthcare industry. These are essential skills as they can allow you to work with other people with ease, especially in a stressful and fast-paced environment.
- EKG technicians directly interact with their patients. Therefore, they should explain the situation clearly to them without causing them panic or doubt.
- Should patients have any questions or concerns about the proceedings, the EKG technician must answer them promptly and correctly in a format that ordinary people without medical backgrounds could understand.
- The EKG technician should also be able to use their critical thinking skills to quickly identify urgent cases in their hands.
- They should have good observation skills and attention to detail.
- They should also have the stamina to endure a long workday.
Like other healthcare professionals, the job of the EKG technician is crucial in medical facilities. They make the work of the attending doctors faster and more manageable. However, before becoming one, they need to undergo training to understand the machines they must work with. Upon being hired, they also need to go through an on-the-job orientation to familiarize themselves with the facility’s layout, procedures, and staff.
Medical Career Academy is dedicated to providing each student with the highest quality education and medical career training in several healthcare fields. We are committed to giving each student full support at every step in the learning process. We offer a real-life, hands-on experience for the student and a digital experience derived from highly skilled and experienced instructors.